Tennis is one of the most popular and followed sports all over the world, and one of the main achievements of tennis players is to win a Grand Slam. But what are Grand Slams and who is the tennis player with the most trophies? Read on!
What is the Grand Slam
The term “Grand Slam” in tennis is used to refer to each of the four most important tournaments in tennis. The four Grand Slams are:
- Australian Open. It is played in Melbourne, Australia. It is played on hard surface and is known for its relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
- Roland Garros. Held in Paris and is the only Grand Slam played on clay courts.
- Wimbledon. Held in London. It is the oldest of the four tournaments and is played on grass, making it difficult for tennis players to play.
- US Open. Held in New York and played on hard surface. It is known for its vibrant energy and extraordinary atmosphere.
These four Grand Slams bring together the best tennis players in the world, who play against each other for victory.
How often each Grand Slam tournament is played
The Grand Slams are played throughout the year, and each one has a specific frequency in order to avoid “stepping on each other’s toes”. The calendar of Grand Slam tournaments is as follows:
- Australian Open. It is played in January. It is the first Grand Slam of the year.
- Roland Garros. It is played in May and June.
- Wimbledon. Held annually in June and July.
- US Open. It is the last of the year, and is played in August and September.
These tournaments are spaced out over the year, so players can prepare to compete in each of them.
Who is the tennis player with the most Grand Slams?
Many of you are waiting for us to mention Novak Djokovic’s name… And he is! But in the men’s category, with a total of 23 Grand Slams (10 AUS Open, 3 Roland Garros, 7 Wimbledon and 3 US Open).
However, the person with the most Grand Slams in the world at the moment is the tennis player Margaret Court, with a total of 24 Grand Slams (11 AUS Open, 5 Roland Garros, 3 Wimbledon and 5 US Open).
Rafa Nadal would be the second tennis player with the most Grand Slams in the men’s category, with a total of 22. As for the women’s category, there are two great tennis players who occupy second place: Serena Williams and Steffi Graf, with a total of 22 Grand Slams respectively.
- You may be interested in: “8 interesting facts about the Wimbledon tournament“.
What a tennis player gets when he or she wins a Grand Slam
Winning a Grand Slam is the achievement of any tennis player, as it gives them a special status in the tennis world, catapulting them into the elite of the sport. In addition, they take home an iconic trophy and a substantial cash prize.
Tennis school in Malaga
Are you looking for tennis lessons in Malaga? At Centro Cortijo Alto we have a team of professional coaches ready to bring out the best in you. Contact us now and win the Grand Slam of learning and fun.